Thursday, July 11, 2013

O SAJNA BHARKHA BAHAAR AAYI-Lata

Rain song 2:

I have lived more than half my life in far flung places where often there weren't any swank, happening joints, big malls or other sources of entertainment. Life moves at an easy, laid back pace. It can get lonely and baffling at times. The fact one had to move every two years, it would take time to make friends. So there was always plenty of time to develop your inner faculties and imagination. Soon you start enjoying the solitude and you actually count your blessings and thank God for them.

Such places are a reality check and put things in perspective. The last station we lived in before Delhi was Babina, somewhere in central India with 200 year old Banyan and Peepal trees all around, intense summers, 12 hour power cuts and not even a movie hall or a decent restaurant. You learn to create your own little occupations in life. (I was fortunate to always have my writing to fall back on besides my online job-thankfully there was internet!)

One of the most beautiful features that I would look forward to every evening was a 10 km, tree lined walking plaza which had discreet speakers playing gentle music early in the morning and evenings. I loved to cycle on this path to some lilting music, breathing in some fresh air and watch the sun set every day. Cycling is something I have spent maximum number of hours at, when it comes to any form of exercise, but I like cycling outdoors, not on a stationary bike at all! One day it was drizzling as I ambled my way on my cycle while this song started playing. Don't remember many other things that gave me as much pleasure in my life.

So came back home and looked for this song on youtube, had never seen it before and was delighted to see Sadhana, who I find to be a true Indian beauty, like a classic Ravi Varma painting. She had such a stately carriage that her perfect poise did not need any theatrics. Absolutely loved her understated elegance and her expressions that speak of a sweet fulfilling love. The beautiful B&W picturisation by Bimal Roy is superlative, illustrating how each and every leaf, plant and figure resonates the sounds of rain. Of course in Babina, at night there would be this complete orchestra of crickets, frogs and toads singing at unbearably high decibel levels, to add to the mystique!

Lata's voice reigns supreme over this spellbinding Salil Chowdhury number with lyrics by Shailendra. Gentle, passive passion at its best. To me, this B&W song is more than any '50 Shades of Grey'!


No comments:

Post a Comment